January 2007: Retrospective


When I started Project 365, I didn't think it would be very difficult. How hard would it be, I wondered to myself, to take a picture each day and post it to the web? I take pictures everyday anyway, so it would be no big deal. I was wrong. It is a big deal, and it's a much bigger deal than I thought it could be. I have been surprised at how this work has impacted me.

After 31 days of Project 365, I've learned (already) that I favor a particular aesthetic (shallow depth of field), I'm drawn to certain colors (oranges and yellows), I'm interested in literal objects that connote abstract experiences (contact lenses and "vision"), and I'm engaged by the patterns I notice in my own work (lots of circular images). There is more. I'm wondering what these things "say" about my life, about my vision of the world I'm in.

Punctum

It's already becoming a bit challenging to find something new and exciting to photograph each day, and there are approximately 330 days of the project left to go. I anticipate that I'll be scrounging for subjects before too long. I will photograph the back side of the shower curtain in October because I would have photographed the front side in August . . . and this will be all that's left to shoot . . . that is, if I don't want to repeat myself. I joke, but what Project 365 has taught me so far-- about my own vision-- is that there is beauty and wonder in the most everyday subjects and we don't run out of every day subjects. We just have to look at them a little more closely, more carefully. (And I'm learning this just as clearly from other Project 365'ers as I am my own work.) But seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary is a skill. Project 365 is strengthening that skill.

Cross posted at Parts-n-Pieces.

@ 7:33 PM

10 comments:

Ianqui said... January 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM

What a nice retrospective! The exercise is especially interesting w.r.t. what it tells the photographer about his/her vision, preferred subjects, style, etc.

Unknown said... January 31, 2007 at 9:29 PM

I've also felt that there were things I wanted to photograph, but was embarrassed to. I was taking photos in the train station and someone asked me if I was a tourist. Then I became self-conscious and didn't get the shots I wanted.

You've taken some amazing photos. I wish I had half your talent.

Overread said... January 31, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Very cool idea, and a nice look inside at what you shoot.

Lucy said... January 31, 2007 at 10:41 PM

That is a great retrospective!
I have been noticing that I've been looking for interesting things to take photos of, without really thinking about how to take good photos of them. I'd like to be able to take fabulous photos of everyday objects like you.
Also, I didn't really think of anything to say in response to listening to your podcast, but I noticed I could imagine hearing you read this post, which is cool :)

jo(e) said... February 1, 2007 at 7:08 AM

Even in your retrospective, you are looking for interesting patterns.

Liane said... February 1, 2007 at 1:01 PM

very cool retrospective. i might try to put my photos together like that to see what i notice... great idea. and so eloquently written about.

Billie said... February 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. I appreciate, too, seeing the work that you do and learning from it (and you!). This will be a fabulous year.

Andromeda Jazmon said... February 4, 2007 at 7:58 PM

This is really nice. I like how you are taking a look back over what you have done. I think I should do that too.

Unknown said... February 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM

I'm really enjoying your 365 blog. I have a 365 blog too and a whole slew of friends whoa re also 365'ing. I found you through Scrivener. Thanks for posting such exquisite photos of close-ups. These are things I wouldn't think of.

Anonymous said... March 28, 2007 at 7:17 PM

please look and start a new subject on ths site IT IS BRAND NEW!!!


PPPPPPPPPPLLLLLEASEE!!



http://www.angelfire.com/blog/www.worldtalk.com/everydaysubjects/

Post a Comment