74/365: Two Windows


Two Windows, originally uploaded by PartsnPieces.

When I was 12, my family and I lived in a house on Wheeler Ave. I found that house today-- abandoned and very very old, lived in by many people. I walked through the house, remembering who I was as a young girl, my family at the time and who we were together. These days-- today-- I strive to remember the good. These two windows were in a room I shared with my younger sister. I think that truck was there before, too. . . a very long time ago. (More Wheeler Ave. photos are on Flickr.)

@ 11:47 PM

5 comments:

Scrivener said... March 16, 2007 at 7:25 AM

I find this set of pictures really touching. I think you're very brave to go back and walk through that house.

Unknown said... March 16, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Wow - how cool that you could go back and see your past home from the inside. Great photo... tells a story all by itself. Now I'll go look at your series.

my15minutes said... March 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM

This is neat. Like Julie said, the picture tells the story of the passage of time... how life doesn't always match up.

Scrivener said... March 16, 2007 at 9:05 AM

I'm going to try again to say what I wanted to say before.

You know my classes this semester are about home? Yesterday I played them Wilco's "Misunderstood" and we read some poems, and we ended up talking quite a bit about going back home and what they expect it to be like to return home for spring break or for the summer. Which means that I ended up talking about going back home myself, which is always uncomfortable for me. I ended up in my last class somehow talking about the period when I was homeless in high school, and had kind of an interesting exchange with some of the students about it. Then this morning looking through your photos of the homecoming? For my own set of reasons, I found that really difficult and moving. So thank you.

If you could, I'd be interested in some words about what that experience was like, too. The pictures say many things, of course, but if you can, I'd like to hear something about what you were thinking and feeling.

jayfish said... March 17, 2007 at 3:08 PM

abandon buildings are amazing to me. and the fact that this one was one you had lived in is really cool.

Post a Comment