November, Project 365 Retrospective

This has been a hard, hard month for Project 365. Like many other people who are a part of this year-long project, I'm tired of trying to be creative. Nothing around me seemed particularly interesting. So this month, I turned inward and was creative with myself. What's unusual about this month are the seven self-portraits I took. While there is nothing remarkable about the photos, it is remarkable that I took them and posted them online. The vulnerability and exposure that came with those actions has been very uncomfortable, but in an odd way, very freeing. I've felt more connected to this community of Project 365ers, but also to my academic work. (Yes, an odd connection.) As Jayfish noted throughout this month about the self-portraits, I'm hiding behind something in each of them: my hair, glasses, a scarf, photoshop . . . The act of putting myself "out there" in all my reality was tough . . . I wonder how much of myself I hide (or manufacture) in my writing. More than I thought I was, surely. So the act of producing self-portraits opened me to the possibility of writing more authentically.

I took a lot of "on the sly" portraits at Starbucks this month as I spent quite a bit of time there reading and writing. I like these photos and how they demonstrate Starbucks' place in the community as a "literacy sponsor."

Aside from the self portraits and Starbucks, the photo I like the most this month is the one of the bird flying overhead. That was a very tough shot, and I took dozens and dozens trying to get it come out right. The photo itself is presented without post-processing or cropping. It is as it was.

OK, one month left. I'm striving in this last month to be a little more creative and bold with my photographs, to take some creative risks. We'll see where it goes. For your Project 365ers, anyone thinking about continuing through 2008?

@ 2:19 PM

5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said... November 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM

I really like your self-portraits. I haven't been that couragous yet. I like all the muted tones you have this month too.

I am thinking about doing another year. I have enjoyed it so much. I've learned a lot and mostly I see how much more there is to learn.

Ampersand said... December 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I'm definitely going through 2008. It gets to be a grind sometimes, but I really like having photos as part of my daily life. And admittedly, my new camera is helping with motivation.

You thinking of continuing? I hope you do.

Your self-portraits this month were interesting, each revealing something, if not everything. : )

Billie said... December 1, 2007 at 4:53 PM

I want to continue through 2008 (I'm almost certain), but I'm not sure how that will look just yet. I like how it played out this year, but I want next year to be different in some way. I haven't figured out that part yet. Kim, I really like your idea of sharing the Photo blog. That might be an option.

But the learning is what's important, and it's what I've really enjoyed . . . that and stretching my abilities.

Liane said... December 2, 2007 at 9:04 AM

through 2008? I doubt it, but I will be going into 2008--Starting just after Christmas, I'll be in Israel & Palestine until mid January, so I'm sure I'll have pictures to post at least for that time frame!
I might do a 365 writing project, instead of photos... not sure yet.

I hope you continue, I love your pictures.

Scrivener said... December 4, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Oh I'm glad to hear that you're going to continue in some way, Billie! And Ampersand too!

Post a Comment