Project 365, 2007: March Retrospective


Project 365, 2007: March Mosaic, originally uploaded by PartsnPieces.

March 2007 won't be a month I'll ever forget, as it's the month my mother died. It's been a month of deep sadness, of intense introspection, of keen observation. It seems I had much to do. All these things to do, however, were not external events, but mostly internal actions: thinking, deciding, remembering, considering, forgiving, accepting, rejecting, planning, praying, crying, standing, standing strong. Through all this introspection and soul work, I've been (possibly) more creative than I've been in quite some time. Many of the images this month depict life, death, birth, newness, energy, growth, of beauty in very unexpected places. There are images of things that brought me peace and comfort, and near the end of the month, I could see a little of my humor return. The photographs depict my grief and my (early) recovery.

It's confirming to see these images and know all the emotions that went on around them. It's pleasing to recognize, too, that each image-- while representing the significant events of the month (and in many ways, my life)-- also represented each of the 31 days of March. I took pictures each day, and I was able to focus my perspective on the world outside myself. My limiting my sight to what I could see in the camera's viewfinder, I could settle and calm myself. I didn't feel quite so overwhelmed. I'm reminded of the famous Anne Lamott line from Bird by Bird about using a one-inch frame to focus writing. Instead of writing in generalities, she states, the frame forces you to focus writing on a small part of the text. The more focused writing is more compelling and interesting. I think it's true in photography, too.

By taking photos each day, I see my skill level rise. Of course, this is true of anything that I'd make the time to do each day, but it's another reminder to write each day, to photograph each day, to think, laugh, cry, forgive, accept, remember each day. Each day.

@ 8:13 PM

5 comments:

jo(e) said... March 31, 2007 at 10:20 PM

What a month you've had.

Thanks for sharing so many beautiful images.

I hope the healing continues.

my15minutes said... April 1, 2007 at 4:45 AM

I"m so sorry for your loss this past month, and glad that you've found some calm in the storm with your photography. Blessings.

Ampersand said... April 1, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Such a beautifully sad, and true, sentiment.

Liane said... April 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM

your photos as well as your words express such a touching, sad and simultaneously hopeful sentiment.

i wish you peace as the healing and reflecting goes on in the coming months.

Unknown said... April 2, 2007 at 3:42 PM

It's amazing how soothing your month of photos is. I feel it with you and love the Bird by Bird reference. Yes, that's what happening with daily photography. And daily life...

Post a Comment