91/365: My Most Famous Photograph

"The Kiss" is my most famous photograph to date. It's been reproduced and printed in dozens of countries and languages in the 62 years it's been around. Over all those years, there have been many people to claim ownership of this image-- they claim to have taken the picture themselves and some of them have even received money for it-- but how could they have taken the picture when I was the one to take it? Silly people.

Anyway, there I was August 14, 1945, walking down the street minding my own business, when this sailor-- a really hot sailor, but that's not really important now-- came running down the street trying to accost any woman he saw. I guess he'd been on board that ship a very long time. Ok, maybe he wasn't trying to "accost" anyone, but he did look a bit randy. Unfortunately for me, he saw that nurse first.

I didn't walk away from the encounter empty-handed, however. I had my trusty Nikon D-50 with me and I shot the pic. And that is, well, the rest of the story.

Oh, and April Fool's. Much apologies to Alfred Eisenstaedt.

@ 5:18 PM

5 comments:

Ianqui said... April 1, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Finally! I was waiting for someone to do an April Fools photo.

Overread said... April 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Me too! I was going to use the Dorothea Lange Migrant mother or an Ansel Adams, but this one is even better! hehee

margaretm said... April 1, 2007 at 9:27 PM

I was also glad to see an April Fools post--good one!

Scrivener said... April 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Haha. I didn't even know today was April Fool's until just a little while ago.

my15minutes said... April 2, 2007 at 5:00 AM

Ha! I'm thinking to myself....Wow, Billie's got some kind of nerve, thinking she can take credit for this one! :-) Good April Fools...much better than my 13 year old taping the faucet shut...

Post a Comment